When Tim and I realized this was a holiday weekend, we quickly decided to make good use of it by taking our first real family getaway. Now that Evelyn is over a year old, she is a little more predictable and that makes these kinds of trips easier.
Port Townsend is on the Olympic Peninsula, close enough to reach in a few hours but far enough away that it feels like a real getaway. Some of our favorite parts of the weekend included:
- taking a ferry ride both ways, which Abigail, in particular, enjoyed
- staying in an historic hotel (built in the 1890s, restored in the 1990s) which is situated right in the middle of PT’s “old town.”
- breakfast pastries from Pan d’Amore
- time to stroll among PT’s touristy shops
- wine and my favorite chocolate in the “lobby” of the hotel – the only place we had to hang out after the girls went to sleep
- a trip to nearby Fort Worden with a walk on the beach
- a drive through the always beautiful Deception Pass
- ending the weekend with a cousin’s birthday party which happened to be along our way back
All in all, it was a great family time and we have already decided to make a President’s Day mini-getaway our annual tradition.